How it works
What is Vyke?
- Vyke apps provide additional mobile phone numbers you can use for free and low cost calls and messaging without the need for an extra SIM card.
- You need a Wi-Fi or mobile data connection in order to use Vyke.
- Vyke to Vyke online calls and messages are free and unlimited. Users you can call and message for free are clearly highlighted in your app ‘Contacts’.
Why should I use Vyke?
- You can save on local and international calls and get additional phone numbers on your existing phone, allowing you to keep your personal number private and use your Vyke numbers for work, online dating, classified ads or a host of other reasons.
- Simple to use mobile app
- Keep your personal number private
- Free online calls & chat
- Make low cost calls & SMS
- Receive calls & SMS
- Customise each Vyke profile
- Personalise each voicemail
- Easily see who is calling
- Decide when you are available
Do I need internet to use Vyke?
- Yes. Vyke requires a Wi-Fi or mobile data connection to validate user details, and also to make and receive calls and send and receive SMS and chat messages.
Can I make calls without internet access?
- No. All calls are reliant on the internet (Local Access and Callback use only a small data packet to set your calling number). We also require internet to validate your user details. Incoming calls and messages to your Vyke numbers are routed over the internet.
Can I receive calls with Vyke?
- Yes. You can receive calls on your Vyke numbers on any device. All inbound calls are routed from the caller over the internet to the Vyke app, so you must have internet access to receive calls. You can set up voicemail for when you are not online or unavailable.
I cannot receive any calls or chat messages
- You may need to turn on notifications.
- On an iOS device select your phone Settings > Vyke >Notifications > Allow Notifications.
- Android devices vary but you may select your phone Settings > Sound & notifications > App Notifications > Vyke > Toggle Block to ‘off’.
How much does it cost?
- The app is free and you can call and message other Vyke users for free. You can view call rates to non-Vyke app users and Vyke number costs in the app.
Are there connection fees?
- There are no connection fees or any other hidden costs. Calls are charged in 60 second blocks.
How secure is my communication?
- App-to-app calls are fully encrypted thereby safeguarding your personal information.
How can I call for free?
- Invite your friends and you can call them for free from your SIM number. When your contact joins you will receive a notification and they will have a ‘free’ icon in your Contacts list. You can call and message any contact that displays the ‘free’ icon for free.
Which devices can I use?
- Vyke works on Android (4.0 and above) and iOS (8 and above) devices.
Can I use Vyke on my iPad?
- Yes, you can turn your iPad into a fully functioning phone with Vyke
- Make and receive low cost calls on your Vyke numbers
- Make free and low cost calls on your SIM number
- Send low cost SMS to any phone from all numbers
Why does Vyke require my mobile phone number?
- Vyke uses your mobile phone number to validate your account and to send you an activation code.
- When you call or SMS from your SIM profile your number will display as the caller ID.
- Your Vyke contacts will know they can call you for free.
I didn’t receive a validation SMS
- Please contact our support team at email@example.com. Include your mobile phone number.
Why do I need to turn on notifications?
- Vyke uses notifications to deliver Vyke calls and messages. The app will not function correctly if you have notifications disabled
Will Vyke replace my SIM card?
- Vyke is not a replacement for your mobile phone, you need a SIM number to validate and set up your account and to use all of its features.
- You may be able to port existing numbers on other phones you have to Vyke. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I enable notifications?
- On iOS (Apple) devices:
- Open your device ‘Settings’
- Scroll down to Vyke
- Click ‘Notifications’
- Toggle on ‘Allow Notifications’
- On Android devices notifications should be enabled by default. Each Android handset is different but this may help. If notifications are not enabled:
- Open your device ‘Settings’
- Scroll down to ‘Sound & notifications’
- Click ‘App notifications’
- Scroll down to Vyke
- Ensure ‘Block’ is toggled to off
Should I use Wi-Fi or mobile data (3G/4G)?
- An internet connection is required to use the Vyke app. We recommend using Vyke with Wi-Fi. If you are using Vyke to make and receive calls over mobile data you may be charged by your mobile operator for data usage. Please check with your mobile operator.
Can I use Vyke when I am abroad?
- Yes, you can avoid roaming fees when abroad by making/receiving calls and sending/receiving messages with the Vyke app. We recommend you use Wi-Fi when abroad as your operator will charge you for data usage.
What do I need to use Vyke?
- You need an Android or Apple (iOS) device connected to the internet to use the Vyke app.
I can’t log in to the app
- Enter your mobile phone number and you will be sent a validation code by SMS. If you do not receive this or have any other issues please email email@example.com or use the Contact Form on our website.
How do I get a validation code?
- Ensure your device is connected to the internet
- Open the Vyke app
- Enter you mobile phone number in the field provided
- Confirm your mobile phone number
- Didn’t receive your code? Try using the call option
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
I already have created a Vyke account, why do I need to validate again?
- For your security we may ask you to validate your account from time to time, if you reinstall the app, , install on another device, access your account on our website or after an app update.
Where can I view additional information on my Vyke account
- Visit our website and sign in to your account to see full account details and history.
How do I make a call with Vyke
- Open the app and select a contact or key in the number in the dial pad
Do I have my own number where people can call me?
- You can easily set up multiple additional mobile numbers that you your contacts can call you on. This allows you to keep you main number private, create international presence and also save on roaming fees when you are abroad.
I cannot make a call
There are a variety of reasons you may not be able to make a Vyke call.
- Are you connected to the internet? Vyke requires an internet connection. Please ensure your device is connected via Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- You have no free contacts – invite your contacts to Vyke so you can call and message them for free.
- You have no credit – calls and SMS to non-Vyke users are chargeable so you need some credit. You can buy credit here.
- You are not dialling correctly – All calls should be dialled in international format.
- You are dialling a special service, premium rate, satellite or IP numbers. Vyke will not connect these calls.
I cannot receive a call
- To receive calls your contacts need to call one of your Vyke numbers. You can easily share your number. From the app Home Screen click ‘i‘ and ‘Share my number’.
The person I am calling cannot hear me
- You may need to allow Vyke to use your microphone.
- On your iOS (Apple) device
- Open your device ‘Settings’
- Click ‘Privacy’
- Click ‘Microphone’
- Toggle Vyke to ‘on’.
I cannot hear the person I am calling
- You may need to allow Vyke to use your microphone. Check your general phone settings.
Can you explain the various call types?
- Free Calls – Calls between Vyke users are routed totally across the internet.
- Wi-Fi/mobile data – Calls are routed over the Internet via your Wi-Fi or 3G/4G data connection to Vyke, where we connect you to the telephone network and the person you are calling. Use this method when you have a good internet connection.
- Local Access – This method is only used when you are in your home country, using a SIM card from that country. Vyke connects using your local GSM minutes. This is a great way to use Vyke, especially if you are out of range of a Wi-Fi hotspot and also have a monthly bundled minutes allowance.
- Callback – You click to call your contact as normal and Vyke seamlessly ‘calls you back’ then connects you to the number you are calling. For use in countries where Local Access is not available. Callback calls are slightly more expensive as there are two parts to each call. The app requires a very small amount of data to initiate the call.
Can I call emergency numbers?
- No. Calls to emergency numbers are not permitted. Vyke is not a replacement for your telephone.
Can I call non-geographic numbers with Vyke?
- Premium numbers are blocked although some non-geographic numbers can be called. Contact email@example.com for details and rates.
Can I use Vyke instead of my SIM card?
- Vyke is an over the top service. You must have a mobile phone number from a recognised mobile provider in order to to validate your account by SMS. You can then use your Vyke account on tablets without the need for a SIM.
I cannot send any messages
- There are a variety of reasons you may not be able to send a Vyke message:
- Are you connected to the internet? Vyke requires an internet connection. Please ensure your device is connected via Wi-Fi or mobile data
- You have no free contacts – invite your contacts to Vyke so you can message them for free
- You have no credit – SMS to non-Vyke users are chargeable so you need to buy Vyke credit. You can buy credit in the app or on our website
Who can I message for free?
- You can send free messages to any other Vyke user. Your free Contacts are clearly displayed in your app. You can invite your contacts to Vyke from the app.
What types of message can I send for free?
- You can send text and photo messages free to other Vyke users.
Why would I send an SMS from Vyke?
- Vyke SMS are cheaper than regular SMS, especially for international texts. You can send Vyke SMS to any type of phone, anywhere in the world. You can also send and receive SMS from your additional Vyke numbers.
How much does it cost to send a Vyke SMS?
- With Vyke you can send an SMS to any phone, anywhere in the world for just 3.2p/5c.
My SMS has not been delivered
- Ensure the recipient number is correct and in international format
- Ensure you are connected to the internet
How much does Vyke cost?
- The app is free and you can call and message other Vyke users for free. Call rates to other phones vary but begin at less than 1p/c per minute. You can view all call rates on our website.
- Additional mobile number rates are available in the app.
- Incoming calls to US numbers are chargeable at our standard rates.
- We also provide a variety of 30 day bundles to specific countries. You can view these in your app.
How are calls charged?
- Calls are charged in 60 second intervals, so calling for 5 minutes and 1 second is charged the same as 5 minutes and 59 seconds.
Where can I view Vyke call rates?
- Our low call rates are available on the rates page on our website and in the app.
How can I buy credits?
- Calling credit is available through your app or on our website, where you will always get the best deals.
How can I transfer credit to another Vyke account?
- You can transfer credit to your Vyke contacts from within the app. Select your SIM profile > Buy > Transfer > then select your contact. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require assistance.
Will my mobile operator charge me for using Vyke?
- Calls over Wi-Fi and Callback will not be charged by your mobile operator. Your operator may charge you for mobile data, and for national calls if using Vyke Local Access. Please check your mobile operator contract.
I was charged extra by Apple for an iTunes payment
- There is a premium applied to all payments made through iTunes to cover Apple’s commission. For our lowest rates always use our website.
What payment options are there?
- You can pay by debit or credit card, Paypal, CashU or via Apple in-app purchase.
I did not receive a Paypal verification email
Why have I been charged for multiple SMS
- The standard SMS length is 160 characters, if you exceed this you will be charged as such.
- Some special characters, international languages, accents or emoticons can count as several characters, or split your message into more then one part.
What is a Vyke number?
- Vyke provide additional mobile phone numbers for use on your main mobile device, allowing you to make and receive calls and send and receive messages, without giving out your personal number.
- Vyke numbers can be used for work, dating, classified ads, online selling, webforms, international presence or to prevent nuisance calls
- You can decide when you are available on each of your numbers and set up individual voicemail messages so your boss does not hear the same message as your best friend in New York.
What can I do with a Vyke number?
- Vyke numbers are real mobile phone numbers where the calls/messages are received by the Vyke app over Wi-Fi or mobile data. They allow you to connect with people or share your number while keeping your personal number private.
Are they expensive?
- Vyke numbers are very reasonably priced, you can view costs in your app. Calls start at less than 1p/1c per minute. All rates are visible in your app.
How do I get a Vyke number?
- Vyke numbers are available from your app home screen.
Can I receive calls on my Vyke numbers?
- You can receive calls once you share your number with your contacts.
Can I make calls on my Vyke numbers?
- You can make low cost calls to any phone, anywhere in the world from your Vyke numbers.
Can I use Vyke numbers on an iPad or Android tablet?
- Yes, you can turn your iPad or Android Tablet into a fully functioning phone with Vyke numbers.
Where can I download the Vyke App?
- Vyke is available from Google Play and the App Store for Vyke Android (4.0 and above) and iOS (8 and above) devices.
Is the Vyke app available globally?
- Vyke can be used globally, but some of its features may be different depending on the country where you are based.
Can I download and use the same Vyke account in multiple devices?
- A Vyke account can be used from several different devices, but it’s not possible to make concurrent calls from different phones/devices with the same account.
Vyke fails to download
- Insufficient space on device, lack of memory, internet connectivity, download settings are among the most common reasons for failed downloads. Vyke does not require more space than other popular apps, you can try freeing up some memory, closing some unused running apps, wiping up some of your old cache, or just make sure that your phone has a live internet connection and try again. If you have restricted data downloads on your phone, then you can download it next time you have WiFi coverage.